The Fitness Trainer: Get calf definition
Sarah Colbourne, founder of Heart & Soul Fitness, has 15 years’ experience in the fitness industry.
My legs look like sticks! How can I get more definition in my calves?
I suggest doing some calf raises, which are easy to perform and can be intensified as you gain strength for additional calf definition:
- Find a step you can use to stand on with your feet about shoulder width apart, facing forwards, with your heels hanging off the edge.
- Lift your heels up so that you are perched on the balls of your feet. Breathe in as you rise up and hold the position for a couple of seconds. Breathe out as you lower yourself back down. Repeat 20 times.
You can also do some knee tucks on a stability ball:
- Lie face-down on top of a stability ball that’s fully inflated, so that it flexes about six inches when you lie on it.
- Place your hands and feet on the ground. Take a deep breath and slowly walk your feet up towards the ball. Once your knees are touching the ball, roll them up on top of the ball and hold yourself still for a count of 10 to 20. Concentrate on allowing your calves to do most of the pulling as you bring your knees on top of the ball.
- Roll the ball back again and repeat 10 times. Keep your back straight as you perform the curls.
If you have a fitness question, please contact us.
Heart & Soul Fitness, 336 Ladbroke Grove Road, London, W10; www.heartandsoulfitness.co.uk; 020 8960 9823; 07790 608 014